Pasta with Garlic and Oil
Makes enough for 4 to 6
1. Cook pasta in at least 1 gallon of boiling salted water (about 1
tbs salt per gallon of water). Stop while pasta is still al dente.
Keep 1/3 cup of the cooking water when draining pasta.
- 1 pound uncooked dry pasta
- 6 tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided 3tbs/3tbs
- 1/4 cup minced garlic, divided 3tbs/1tbs
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup pasta cooking water
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan (optional)
2. Warm a serving bowl.
3. While water is heating, combine:
in heavy-bottomed nonstick 10-inch skillet. Cook over low heat,
stirring constantly, until garlic foams and is sticky and
straw-colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Off heat, add:
- 3 tbs oil
- 3 tbs garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
stir well to keep garlic from clumping.
- remaining tablespoon raw garlic
- red pepper flakes
- lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water
4. Transfer drained pasta to warm serving bowl; add:
and toss to coat. Add garlic mixture and 3/4 teaspoon salt; toss well
to combine. Serve immediately. Top each serving with Parmesan if
- remaining 3 tablespoons oil
- remaining reserved pasta cooking water